These are lovely and light and tasty, great for a starter or with salad and crusty bread for a main course. Make 1 large tart if you prefer.
1 x 500g block of ready made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
100g jar of black olive tapenade
6 firm ripe tomatoes
salt and black pepper
beaten egg to glaze
a little olive oil
fresh thyme leaves
- Pre heat the oven 190ºC fan oven; 200ºC conventional oven, centre shelf; gas 6
- Cut the pastry block into 4 and roll out each piece so that you can cut out a 15cm/6inch circle.
- Place the pastry circles onto a tray lined with baking parchment.
- Spread tapenade over the base of each pastry circle leaving an edge of 1cm/½inch clear.
- Slice the tomatoes thinly, halving them if they are large and cover the pastry with overlapping slices. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg and bake until risen and golden brown.
- Brush each tart very lightly with the olive oil and scatter over some fresh thyme leaves.
- Serve immediately.