- 140g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 120g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 60ml milk
- 20ml lime juice
- 40ml tequila
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 110g unsalted butter
- 545g icing sugar
- 0.5 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Lime slices for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and an 8-inch cake tin with baking paper in the bottom and grease the sides.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites and vanilla and beat until well combined.
4. Add one third of the flour mixture to the batter and beat until incorporated. Next add the milk and mix until combined.
5. Add another third of the flour mixture to the batter and mix.
6. Add the lime juice, tequila and lime zest and mix together.
7. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients and add the mixture to the cake tin.
8. Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then leave to cool on a cooling rack.
10. To make the frosting, beat the butter and slowly add half of the icing sugar until smooth and well combined.
11. Add the lime zest and lime juice and mix together.
12. Slowly add the remaining icing sugar and mix until well combined and smooth. (Add additional lime juice, if needed, to thin out the frosting)
13. Top the cake with frosting, using a piping bag if prefered. Finish off the cake with lime slices and a sprinkling of icing sugar.