These do take sometime to make but the result is well worth it!
- 500g/1lb 2oz strong white bread flour
- 1 sachet (7g) fast action yeast
- 270ml warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 75g/3oz golden caster sugar
- 350g/12oz unsalted butter in a block, at room temperature
- 250g/9oz plain chocolate (70% cocoa)
- Put the flour, yeast, water, salt and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and using the dough hook mix together and then knead for 10 minutes.
- Flatten the butter out into a rough rectangle about 1-2cm/½-¾in thick.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle on a floured surface until it is roughly 3 times the size of the butter.
- Place the butter on the rolled dough so that it covers only ⅔ of it.
- Fold the third that has no butter on it over the butter covered dough, then fold the buttered dough back onto the dough creating layers.
- Gently tap and roll with a rolling pin to flatten the butter.
- Cover with cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the cling film and with the short edge towards you roll out the dough into a rectangle approximately ½cm/¼ in thick.
- Fold one third of the dough towards you and the final third on top so layering the butter and the dough as you go.
- Cover and chill again and repeat this process 4 times in all.
- Wrap loosely in a plastic bag and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle the thickness of 2 50p pieces.
- Cut into 12 squares each approximately 12cm.
- Cut the chocolate into 24 lengths, 2 for each pain, don’t worry if it breaks.
- Lay one piece of chocolate at two ends of the square of dough and roll both ends towards the centre, turn over and place onto a lined baking tray leaving plenty of space between each one. You will need 2 baking trays for this.
- Cover the trays with lightly oiled cling film and allow to prove for 1 hour either in your Nexus proving drawer (put one tray in the base of the drawer, put a trivet over the top and place the second tray on that) or in a warm kitchen.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 210ºC conventional oven, centre shelf; 200ºC fan oven; GM 7 for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a rack before serving warm