A traditional chicken pie with lattice topped pastry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 350g/12oz diced boneless chicken thighs, breasts or a mixture of the 2
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 275ml/½pt chicken stock
- 142ml carton double cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pack of ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- small bag of frozen mixed vegetables allowed to thaw
- 1 egg, beaten
You will need a pie dish with an edge measuring approx. 18 x 24cm/ 7 x 9½in
- Heat half of the olive oil and gently fry the onion until soft.
- Remove the onion from the pan and put to one side. Add the remaining oil and fry the chicken pieces until golden.
- Add the flour and mix well, gradually add the stock, stirring until the sauce thickens. Add the double cream and gently simmer for 10 minutes. Season well.
- Add the mixed vegetables and stir.
- Unroll the pastry, lay your pie dish upside down to one side on the pastry and cut around the outside of the dish. Lift off the dish and cut within the cut just made to produce a circle of pastry that will sit on the edge of the pie dish.