As a change from mashed potatoes on your Cottage Pie, try this version with sliced potatoes instead.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 450g/1lb lean minced beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 450ml/¾ pint beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 700g/1½lbs potatoes
- Melted butter
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onions until soft.
- Add the beef and fry until it is browned, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add the tomato puree, cook briefly then add the flour, Worcestershire sauce and stock.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, and season well.
- Cover and gently cook on the hob for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly and remove any fat that may rise to the surface.
- Pour the beef into a 1.7litre/3 pint dish.
- Pre heat the oven to 170ºC fan oven; 180ºC conventional oven centre shelf; GM 4.
- Wash the potatoes and put in a pan and cover with boiling water from the kettle. Bring to the boil and simmer until the potatoes are just tender.
- Drain and run under the cold tap to cool.
- Carefully remove the skin from the potatoes and cut into slices 1 cm/½ in thick.
- Lay the potato slices on top of the beef over lapping them.
- Gently brush the potatoes with melted butter, season with pepper.
- Place the pie dish onto a baking tray and into the oven. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Brush with a little more melted butter, return to the oven and increase the temperature to 190ºC fan oven; 200ºC conventional oven centre shelf; GM6, until the topping is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.