The steam cavity is perfect for niçoise salad. All of the elements of the dish can be cooked in the steam cavity at the same time! This is a really great flavoursome meal and although it’s called a “salad” it is very substantial.
Serves: 4 people
- 600g white potatoes or new potatoes - washed
- 200g green beans – washed and topped and tailed
- 6 eggs
- 20 cherry tomatoes – halved
- 2 Tins of tuna - drained
- Small jar of black olives or purple olives
- Salad leaves – a bag of mixed salad leaves or baby spinach and rocket or shredded lettuce
- 3 anchovies per person (optional)
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Firstly, ensure that your steam cavity is filled with fresh water, is clean and ready to go. For this recipe you need the perforated tray.
- If using new potatoes and they are not too large, then keep them whole with the skin on. Cut any large ones in half. If using white potatoes, then keep the skin on and cut into large pieces.
- Place the potatoes directly onto the perforated tray and cook at full steam 100° for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes is up remove the tray from the cavity, place the eggs and green beans directly onto the tray next to the potatoes and cook for a further (if “H20 hot” is displayed press the “+” sign to revert back to the time and temp display then press the clock symbol to change the time):
- 6 minutes if you have a Nexus steam oven
- 8 minutes if you have a Rangemaster built in steam oven.
- While these are cooking make the dressing by adding everything to a glass jar and shaking vigorously.
- Prepare a large bowl full of cold (ice cold if you can) water. This will be used to prevent the eggs and beans from cooking further once they are removed from the steam oven.
- When the steam cavity beeps carefully remove the tray from the cavity and immediately put the green beans and eggs into the bowl of cold water to stop them from cooking further. Leave the potatoes to dry on the tray whilst you assemble the other ingredients.
- Prepare the bowls and build the salad:
- Divide the salad leaves between 4 bowls,
- Place half a tin of tuna in the centre of each bowl,
- Place 10 halves of cherry tomatoes to one side of each bowl
- Pat the beans dry and place on one side of each bowl,
- Peel the eggs and cut into quarters, add 6 quarters to each bowl on top of the beans,
- Add a few potatoes to each bowl and then scatter over the black olives,
- Break up the anchovies and scatter over with some chopped parsley if using,
- Shake the dressing and then pour liberally over the salad,
- Serve immediately while the potatoes are still warm.
- This version has been shared between 4 individual bowls, but you could easily make this into a lovely sharing platter and place it in the centre of the table and let everyone dive in!
- You need the thicker green beans not fine green beans.
- You could swap the tin of tuna for a piece of fresh tuna and steam it along side the eggs and green beans.
- When adding to the steam cavity its best to remove the tray and close the door so that the steam stays in and therefore will not take as long to get back up to temperature.
- Cooking for a crowd - easily double or triple the quantities in the recipe. The beauty of steam cooking is that you do not need to adjust the cooking time. You can still cook for a crowd in only 16/18 minutes!
This recipe has been developed especially for Rangemaster by Product Demonstrator, Lindsey Payne.