Mini Herbed Drop Scones with Feta Cheese
If you’re after a tasty snack, canapé or starter, these mini drop scones will go down well with vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, as the salty Feta flavour is so moreish. We think the addition of black olives adds to the authentic Greek taste but you can leave them out if you prefer. Top with an extra piece of cheese and half a cherry tomato.
- 200g/7oz self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 200ml milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- A handful of black olives, chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 175g/6oz Feta cheese, cut into small pieces
- 200g/7oz small cherry tomatoes, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Make the scones ahead and freeze them layered with cling film. Defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, eggs and milk to create a smooth thick batter, then add the thyme, olives and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat some oil on your griddle or in a non-stick frying pan and drop small, bite-sized spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot pan.
- Cook until golden brown or until bubbles have appeared on the surface, flip over and cook the other side. Remove from the pan and place on to a tray covered in baking parchment and continue cooking more scones until all the mixture is used.
- Pre heat the grill. Place the scones onto a baking tray (or a double sheet of foil) that fits onto the grill trivet in its lower position.
- Place the scones onto the tray or foil, top each with a piece of cheese and a tomato half.
- Grill until the cheese has browned and the tomato heated through.