- 175g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for decoration
- 400g strawberries
- 150g blueberries
- 150g blackberries
- 150g raspberries
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Butter and line two 18cm (7in) sandwich tins with nonstick baking paper.
- In a bowl beat the butter and the sugar till pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Fold in the flour, one spoon at a time.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level with a knife. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the sponge cakes are well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Leave the sponge cakes to cool on a wire rack. Hull the strawberries and slice them in half. Whip the cream till quite stiff, mix in the icing sugar and the vanilla.
- When the cakes are cool, spread the jam on one of the sponge cakes and spread half of the whipped cream on top. Place half of the strawberries on top of the cream. Place the other sponge cake on top and spread with the remaining whipped cream. Arrange the remaining strawberries around the top of the cake and add the blueberries and blackberries. Dust with the remaining icing sugar.