Wok cooking is a great one pan meal for the whole family. This recipe cooks rice at the same time and then this is added to the wok along with eggs to give a veggie and protein packed meal!
Serves: 4 people
- 125g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 150g asparagus, tips left whole and stalks chopped into 3cm lengths
- 1 whole pak choi, stalk chopped, leaves shredded and reserved
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Red chilli finely diced (optional)
- Black pepper
- Cook the rice in a pan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until just cooked, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok and sauté the diced onion and celery on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and stir-fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes before adding the chopped pak choi stalks.
- Add the rice and diced red chilli to the wok and stir well to combine with the vegetables. Add the pak choi leaves and stir-fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Push the rice to one side of the wok so there is a space to cook the eggs. Crack the and lightly scramble with a spatula then stir the eggs into the rice and vegetables, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, season with soy and black pepper to taste. Serve scattered with the sesame seeds.
- If you can’t find asparagus, then frozen peas could be used instead.
- Keep the wok on a high heat throughout the cooking process and keep the food moving to prevent it from sticking.
- Toast the seeds simply dry fry in a pan for a few minutes and watch carefully to make sure they do not burn.
This recipe has been developed especially for Rangemaster by Product Demonstrator, Lindsey Payne.