Oven-roasted belly pork in sweet honey and black pepper provides the perfect warmth on a chilly day. Here's Thuy's take on the traditional 'Banh mi' sandwich, a childhood favourite, featuring this delicious belly pork.
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Baking tray or dish
- Chopping board
- Small bowls (to set ingredients aside)
- Serving plate
- 500g belly pork strips – no skin
- Bread of your choice
For pork marinade:
- 3 cloves garlic – finely diced
- 2 shallots or 1 medium red onion – finely diced
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tsp crushed black pepper
For the sandwich pickle:
- 1 medium carrot – finely julienned
- 5 inches mooli/daikon (optional) – finely julienned
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
For the sandwich filling:
- Avocado - sliced
- Pâté – any variety of your choice
- Sriracha sauce or chilli sauce
- Cucumber – sliced
- Spring onion - sliced
- Red onion - sliced
- Dice the garlic and shallots then add to a bowl and mix in the sesame oil, honey, oyster sauce, soy sauce and crushed black pepper.
- Start by marinating the pork belly; place the pork belly strips in a sealable plastic bag or shallow dish, then pour the marinade over the pork, ensuring it's well coated. Seal and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight for a richer flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Julienne the carrot and daikon (if using), then combine in a bowl with caster sugar and lime juice. Toss well and set aside to pickle.
- Place the marinated pork belly strips on a baking tray. Roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes – or until the pork is cooked through and caramelized, with a slightly crispy edge. Remember to turn it over halfway.
Quick tip: For a darker colour and crispier texture, grill on a high heat for one minute per side.
- To prepare the sandwich, slice your chosen bread and spread a generous amount of mayonnaise and pâté on both sides. Arrange a layer of carrot and daikon pickles on the bottom half of the bread, then place the cucumber and add sriracha or chilli sauce.
- Top with the honey and pepper roast pork belly, adding a fresh garnish of red onion, spring onion, fresh chillies, and a layer of sliced avocado. Finish with mint leaves and coriander leaves. Press the halves of the sandwich together and serve immediately.
Enjoy your homemade Honey and Pepper Roast Belly Pork Banh Mi! Feel free to pair it with other carbohydrates or salad of your choice—it's equally delicious!
Professional chef, restaurateur and author, Thuy Pham has created this delicious recipe exclusively for Rangemaster using her Leckford Deluxe 110cm Dual Fuel range cooker.