A British classic recipe for afternoon tea. Serve with clotted cream and jam for the ultimate combo!
- 225g self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 55g butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 25g sultanas
- 150ml milk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten, to glaze (alternatively use a little milk)
- Heat the oven to 200C Fan and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar and then the milk and sultanas to get a soft dough.
- Move the dough to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm thick Use a 5cm cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking tray. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until well risen and golden-brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter, jam and clotted cream for the ultimate scone.