A delicious spring recipe to make the most of fresh asparagus when in season. Easy and versatile, simply substitute the asparagus for tender stem broccoli or thick courgette batons.
Serves: 8 people
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 24 chipolata sausages or vegetarian alternative
- 2 x red onion finely sliced
- 3x bunches of asparagus (trimmed)
- 300g plain flour
- 6 large eggs
- 600ml milk
- Pinch of salt and grind of pepper
- Firstly, set the oven function, temperature, and oven shelf. Set the function to “fanned” and the temperature to 200°. The oven shelves can be in any position inside the cavity.
- You need a large shallow baking dish – metal works best.
- To make the batter, whisk all the ingredients in a large jug until smooth. Set aside while you cook the sausages.
- Pour the oil into a large roasting tin. Add the sausages and bake for 6 mins. Sprinkle over the red onion and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Stir in the asparagus, then pour over the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, until puffed and golden.
- The oven shelf can be in any position inside the cavity. This is because you are using the fanned function which distributes the heat evenly throughout the oven cavity.
- Vegetarian or vegan sausages wok well in this recipe.
- Easily halve the recipe for a smaller amount
- Serve with some mash and red onion gravy!
This recipe has been developed especially for Rangemaster by Product Demonstrator, Lindsey Payne.