Makes: 8 Tacos
- 150g plain flour
- 75g cornflour
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 230ml cold beer
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 4 skinless and boneless cod loins, cut in to 3cm pieces
- 8 small soft corn tortillas
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Tartare sauce
- Handful of coriander, to serve (optional)
- Hot sauce, to serve (optional)
- Lime, cut into wedges to serve (optional)
- Firstly sift the plain flour and cornflour into a bowl, then stir through the salt. Make a well in the centre and whisk in the beer to make a smooth batter. Cover the mixture and chill for 30 mins.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan, no more than two thirds. The oil should reach 190°C, check the oil is ready by dropping a small piece of bread into the oil. This should turn brown in 10 seconds.
- Dip each piece of cod into the batter until it’s fully coated. Shake off any excess. Fry the fish in batches for 4 mins, then remove the cod using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Warm your tortillas in a low oven or in a dry frying pan. Spread over tartare sauce, then add the fish. Top with shredded lettuce, diced red onion, coriander, a dash of hot sauce and squeeze over a wedge of lime.