A showstopper of a bake, this delicious recipe is perfect for the christmas period.
- 6oz of dark chocolate
- 6oz of butter
- 3 eggs
- 8oz of castor sugar
- Half a teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 4oz of plain flour
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Ready rolled shortcrust pastry sheet
- Remove the pastry from the fridge 45 minutes before unrolling to make sure it doesn’t break and crack when lining the tart tin. Preheat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, gas 6.
- Unroll the pastry, keeping it on the paper it was rolled in. Roll the pastry out a little thinner to make a slightly larger rectangle. Cut away a 5cm wide strip from one long side and reserve for the pastry stars. Use the rest of the pastry to line a 32cm x 10cm tart tin, allowing the excess to hang over the edges of the tin. Prick the pastry base all over with a fork. Chill the tart pastry case for 15 minutes. Chill the reserved strip of pastry until required.
- Run a rolling pin firmly over the tin edges to trim off the excess pastry. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes then remove the paper and beans and continue to cook for a further 8-10 minutes until crisp and pale golden. Remove from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4.
- Meanwhile, place the butter and chocolate in a pan over a low heat melt the chocolate and the butter; stirring occasionally.
- In a jug mix together all the sugar, 3 eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and beat until combined.
- When the chocolate and butter have melted take it off the heat and allow to cool slightly – bringing the pan to the wooden workstation.
- Pour the contents of the jug (the egg and sugar mixture) into the pan of melted chocolate and butter and mix thoroughly.
- Next add the flour and half a teaspoon of salt to the pan and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- Spoon the brownie mixture into the pastry case and level the surface.
- Use small star cutters to stamp out star shapes from the reserved pastry strip. Brush with the reserved beaten egg and place onto the brownie mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, until firm to touch.