Mini Herbed Drop Scones with Feta Cheese
You may not have cooked these since your school days but drop scones are so versatile and make the perfect canapé for a dinner party or family get-together. The black olives are optional but they do add an authentic Greek flavour that complements the Feta cheese. Try serving with a cucumber mint raita dip on the side.
- 200g/7oz self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 beaten eggs
- 200ml milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- A handful of black olives, chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 175g/6oz Feta cheese, cut into small pieces
- 200g/7oz small cherry tomatoes, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Make the scones ahead and freeze them layered with cling film. Defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, eggs and milk to create a smooth thick batter, then add the thyme, olives and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat some oil on your griddle or in a non-stick frying pan and drop small, bite-sized spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot pan.
- Cook until golden brown or until bubbles have appeared on the surface, flip over and cook the other side. Remove from the pan and place on to a tray covered in baking parchment and continue cooking more scones until all the mixture is used.
- Pre heat the grill. Place the scones onto a baking tray (or a double sheet of foil) that fits onto the grill trivet in its lower position.
- Place the scones onto the tray or foil, top each with a piece of cheese and a tomato half.
- Grill until the cheese has browned and the tomato heated through.