A fun dessert to make with the kids, these zingy lemon cupcakes are so moreish and really easy to do. They are also a firm favourite for school bakes and lunchboxes. You can beat the ingredients together by hand or use a mixer and decorate with yellow icing and lemon jelly slices. Keep an eye on them when baking, as they take less than 10 minutes.
- 200g / 7oz butter or margarine
- 200g / 7oz sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g / 7oz self raising flour, sieved
- 4 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, sieved, to dust
For the icing
- 200g / 7oz icing sugar, sieved
- 50 g / 1½ oz butter
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- Yellow food colouring, optional 20 lemon jelly slices
- Pre-heat the oven for 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Beat the butter or margarine with the sugar, add the eggs and the self raising flour, add the lemon zest and juice
- Mix until smooth and spoon the mixture into 20 paper cake cases and put these into bun tins
- Bake for eight-ten minutes until risen and golden.
- Remove from the oven and take the cakes out of the bun tins, leave to cool on a wire rack.