This mixture is easy to make, it does have quite a few ingredients and takes some time to prepare.
If you are a vegetarian, just replace the suet with vegetarian suet. Vegetarian suet is also suitable for a gluten free pudding but use gluten free bread for the breadcrumbs and gluten free flour aswell if required.
When re-heating on Christmas day, ensure you mix a tablespoon of brandy mixed with a teaspoon of vodka to pour over to light the pudding. The vodka will give a brighter flame than the brandy alone.
- 110g ready-shredded suet
- 50g self raising flour
- 100g white breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 250g soft dark brown sugar
- 130g sultanas
- 130g seedless raisins
- 250g currants
- 30g mixed candied peel, chopped
- 25g skinned and chopped almonds
- 1 small cooking apple, grated
- Grated zest 1/2 large orange
- Grated zest 1/2 large lemon
- 150ml Guinness
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
You will also need
- £1 coin wrapped in greaseproof paper
- 1.2L pudding basin, lightly greased
- The day before, mix the suet, flour, breadcrumbs, spices and sugar in a bowl. Mix through the dried fruit, mixed peel, almonds, apple and the zests.
- Mix in the Guinness and eggs, cover and leave over night for the flavours to develop.
- The next day, mix the mixture thoroughly allowing everyone at home to make a wish as they stir, and add the coin. Pour the mixture into the greased basin and cover with greaseproof paper and a sheet of foil. Secure tightly with some string (you will need another set of hands to get the knot really tight), and tie a piece of string from one side to the other to make a handle.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and place an old saucer in the bottom to act as a trivet, reduce to a simmer and place the pudding on top and the lid on the pan. Simmer for 8 hours topping up the water as required from a boiling kettle.
- When steamed, leave to cool in the pan overnight. Replace the greaseproof paper and foil. Leave in a cool and dark place (some suggest under the bed!) until Christmas Day.
- Re-steam the pudding for only 2 hours.
- Turn out onto a plate, pour the alcohol on top, bring to the table and set alight. Serve with brandy cream.